I don’t know what Revell had in mind when they constructed very small tabs for the wing support.
So I decided to do something about it to strenghten the joint. By adding tubes that fit into each other, I could get a much better stability.
Jumping a bit, but the leading edge needed some attention too.
Some sanding sorted that out.
Off with the tabs!
Rods added to the wing halves.
Luckily I did a test fit against the fuselage. It turned out the rear wall section was in the way for having a tube going right through as I first had thought. I also accidently shot away half of the smaller tube, and still haven’t found it. I replaced with a piece of sprue that matched the size of the bigger tube (with some minor sanding).
The larger tube also had to be shortened to fit, as I had to use my Dremel to cut part of the wall. I wish I had planned this tube thing before I glued the fuselage. So now there a sprue rod going right through the body in the front part and a short tube in the rear part.
After some adjusting, I got the first wing in place.
Quite ugly on the underside though.
Got a bit of a gap on the underside. By using some mild violence, it is possible to close the gap, at least somewhat, but I think super glue will be neccessary.
Both wings in place, but still some work to do to close the gaps and tidy it up.
Next I’ll sort the wing gaps, and then put back the IP and hopefully close the cockpit. I also need to figure if I need to add some weight in the nose.
Insserting the cockpit and rear wall was no problem, but glueing the fuselage took a while, partly due to being made of three parts. A bit wobbly to keep the fuselage together while glueing one section at the time.
I shouldn’t have glued the canards as Revell suggested, as both broke off, one by one. I have to sort that later and have them in a fixed position. Often pointing downwards when parked. At least from what I can see on walk around pics.
I’ve glued the nose halfs, engine and assembled the radar. Not sure if I’m going to show the radar yet, although the nose can be made movable.
I’ve also started re-scribing the wings. Not many panel lines to re-scribe, so it should be a pretty quick job.
Next I will assemble the wings and glue them to the body. After sorting the surfaces where the wings will go. Even though the contact area for the wings are pretty large, it seems like the tabs are a tad bit small.
I’ve started to assemble the front and rear stabilizers. They actually fit quite nicely. However, I first need to sort some of the seams along the body. I don’t want to have them showing behind the stabilizers.
I accidently cut off the tab for the one on the other side by mistake, as I thought it was part of the sprue. I have to sort that, and also figure if they’re supposed to sit in a certain angle when parked.
Putting the front gear bay into place was a bit of a struggle. Partly due to the struts poking out from the bay. Now both are broken. Have to glue them back later.
The struts poking out from the main gear bays are also easy to break, and I think it would have been possible to glue them later. Not so with the front gear bay.
After that I glued the fuselage halves. No great problem with the fit, and I think most of it will be sorted with minor sanding. I had to glue it bit by bit, but quite easy with liquid glue.
The HUD consists of 2 parts of PE that is glued together with the glass pieces, and then glued to the sight. But I decided to glue the etch in place and then paint all in black. Hopefully I can fit the glass later.
I decided to try to make seat belts with Magic Sculpt. So I mixed a small lump and rolled a thin layer on a bit of plastic. Then I let it dry for about 20 minutes before I started cutting stripes with a ruler and a sharp knife. I then put those stripes where I wanted the belts to go.
A few more details and the seat is ready for paint.