MiG-29 Fulcrum A – Revell 1/144

This is a kit I’m building for a group build or SIG for MiG planes. I choose this as a kind of warm up. So far it has taken a bit longer than anticipated.

MiG-29 boxart
MiG-29 boxart.
Sprue 1
Sprue 1.
Sprue 2
Sprue 2
Sprue 3.
Sprue 3
Decals
Decals.
Instructions.
Instructions.

As can be seen in the instructions it is not many steps and the build was fairly quick. The fit was fairly good, except for the nose which had a slight step that needed some TLC. Also the intakes needed a bit of putty and sanding as well as the underside of the wing joints.

Fuselage and wings assembled
Fuselage and wings assembled.

Someone else on the forum was building the same kit from another boxing, and he pointed out that there was a quite prominent detail missing.
After checking pics on the net I tried to sculpt something that looked like whatever it is on top of the nose.

While painting white on some parts for another kit, I painted the missiles.

Missiles painted.

I’ve asked if a friend of mine can use his CAD skills to create a seat, and then hopefully another friend can do one on his printer.

P-47D – Painting done!

Well almost atleast! I unmasked it and then masked around wheel bays and painted them zinc-chromate yellow.

masking removed.
Masking removed.
Wheel bays painted.
Wheel bays painted.

I’m gonna put a cote of Pledge over the paint to get a gloss or semigloss finish for the decals.

Left to do is landing gears and painting all the small stuff that needs to go on. I decided to go with rockets on this one, just cause it looks so cool.

Fw190F-8 – Wing gaps sorted.

I filled and sanded down the shims and putty in the gaps, and now it looks pretty decent.

Wing joints sorted
Wing joints sorted.

I also added a bit of plastic rod in the wheel wells to act like a part of the gun barrels.

Gun barrels added.
Gun barrels added.

Just need some gun metal on them to look the part.

Still need to do some touching up on the seams on the underside and perhaps on the wing joints too. A lot of detail gone though, but not sure how to get it back or if I just should leave it be.

P-47D – second camo colour.

I’ve heard many praise Hataka colours, but I guess that must be their laquer range they’re talking about. I know acrylic colours have a tedency to clogg up the nozzle after a while. For some reason I thought they were thinned and ready to go, but it clogged up almost instantly.

After cleaning up the airbrush, I diluted the colour and added a few drops of airbrush medium. That made brushing a lot easier and it lasted longer before it clogged the nozzle, calling for another clean up.

After my first go with the second colour, it looked like this.

2nd clour, first cote.
2nd colour, first cote.

A bit spotchy and uneven. So I mixed up a new batch and had one more go.

2nd cote
2nd cote

Still a bit uneven, but perhaps acceptable. I might lay another layer.

P-47D – First cote of paint.

After a second cote of primer to check the seams, I could start to paint the underside in neutral grey.

Underside painted
Underside painted

This is the first time I use Hataka acrylic colours. I started with the paint directly from the bottle, but it clogged the nozzle pretty fast. After diluting it, it was a lot easier to paint. A good thing with the Hataka paints is that there is a ball that helps when shaking the bottle.

I will mask for the medium green colour and see how that turns out. I’ll try to get softly feathered edges.

Fw190F-8 wings assembled.

The fit of the wings against the fuselage/wing root isn’t good as can be seen on this test fit.

Wings testfit
Wings testfit

Quite a gap on both sides. The underside is a bit better.

Wings underside
Wings underside

I glued the wings on the underside first and let that dry for a while. Then I tried to glue one side while pushing wing and body together. Closed the gap alright, but tilted the body and did the other side worse.

I cut some plastic sheet as shims to put into the gap on each side, and that way lessen the gap and make it easier to push the wings to the body. I decided to give it a try.

Shims inserted
Shims inserted.

Still a gap, but not so wide. Maybe I can put in a bit more plastic, and then cut and sand to shape. The rest I will cover with putty later.

Fw190F-8 – Engine mounted.

Other builds like the Stuka has taken attention away from this kit. I finally got the engine assembled and then mounted in the fuselage.

Engine and exhaust pipes mounted
Engine and exhaust pipes mounted.

I then just placed the canopy in place and glued the guns.

Cover and guns mounted
Cover and guns mounted!

My plan is to have the covers removable. Still not sure if I’ll cut away the lids and glue the top part in place, having the lids open.

I have also started planning how to do with the wings. The instructions tells you to glue the bottom wing part first, insert the gears, and then glue the upper wing halves.

I’ve checked an it seems possible to insert the gears afterwards and that way avoid having them in the way. Also I think of glueing the upper wing halves with the lower part before glueing it to the body. I just hope it turns out well and that I can make the wings fit as they should.