With little more than a week left on the Airfix groupbuild, I decided to have a go at this old kit.
Lightning F3 box
As this had to be a fairly quick build, I decided not to put too much attention to details.
I painted the cockpit black and added some green to seat rest, and painted the pilot.
Cockpit and pilot painted
There was a few ejector pin marks to sort, and I also added some weight and painted the inside of the covers.
Covers and exhaust
The fuselage went together well.
I had to tape the front to prevent the white glue from seaping out while drying. I also hade glued wings and prepared the missiles.
Weight added and wings glued
I forgot to take a few pics, so after the underside was painted, I masked it for the next colour.
Masked and ready for paint
Topside freshly painted
As I’m painting with Humbrol, there’s a bit of drying time between each cote. For some reason I didn’t have the proper colours in any other brand.
Here it is fully painted.
Next will be a clear cote to prepare for the decals.
The inside of the covers was also repainted, as the ejector pin marks showed too much.
Covers painted again
Luckily it turned somewhat cooler, so I could manage to sit with the decals.
The main decals are only 8, so that’s no big deal, but still took 3 short sessions, as I wanted the decals to set before handling the model, without risking to move the decals accidently.
Main bottomside decals
Side and topside decals
Once the main decals was in place, I could start with the stencil, which on this kit is about 50-ish. For being a 72nd scale kit, that’s quite a few I think. Not sure I’ll use all, as some will go on the fuel tanks that I’m not using as well as some bombs.
Anyway now the topside is done.
Topside decals and stencils
Next will be the underside, and then I wish I had a stand so I could lean one side upwards.
There’s quite a lot of stencils on the side, and some quite small. So I guess there will be at least three more sessions.
Then I also decided to try and finish one shelf-queen. I did some repair painting on my Tamiya 48th Corsair.
Minor repaint on free-hand
Next time I think I’ll post this build separately.
My idea was to start with the decals, but the heat here more or less prevented me from doing anything. Short sessions of painting details seemed more appropriate to do.
At least I got something done!
Then I assembled the nacelles and put them in place.
Engine nacelles in place
Hopefully it’ll be a little cooler so I can sit and work with the decals.
I’ve masked the blue areas, and then painted RLM79 desert yellow.
Top colour painted
I think it turned out pretty well. Just a few minutes after the colours had dried, I decided to remove the masking tape.
Next will be a cote of clear, and then decals.
I still have things like the landing gears to paint, and the canopy to unmask, Will do that as soon as possible!
I started to paint the white fields on the wing tips and around the body.
White colour painted
Then I masked and painted RLM78 on the underside and sides.
Tropical blue painted
This will have to dry a while before I mask for the top colour.
Seems like I forgot to tell about the masking of the canopy, so here it comes!
The masked canopy
And in place!
Canopy in place
And painted with RLM66
Canopy frames painted
Back in order for the next post I hope! 🙂
I thought that Vallejo’s primer was shake and go as their other colours, but evidently not.
I had to do two sessions with thinned primer before it looked ok.
After sorting a few issues, I could do some pre shading.
Underside pre shade
Topside pre shade
A bit splotchy, but I think it will do. Next will be camo colours.
This a set of much needed colours that I’ve picked up today.
So now I have all the most common colours for Luftwaffe airplanes.