A while ago I decided to try to finish some of my so called shelf queens, meaning models that have been sitting on my shelf or lying in their box, waiting to be finished. The P-47D I’ve shown here is one of them, which now is nearing finish. So the other day ig got a clear cote on the underside.
I will do the clear cote on the topside asap.
Next in line is my Academy 1/35 M3 Stuart kit. I’ve started to paint it, but evidently it got stuck there. I started with painting the underside and part of the sides and rear in olive drab. The idea is to make it look like it’s been painted over with the desert colours. I started with the sand colour.
Then I masked and painted the next colour.
Just to realise that it was the wrong colour. So I just painted the “correct” colour once this one had dried.
Once dry, I masked and painted the last colour.
Then I removed the masking tape.
Lastly I started painting details like the tools.
Next will be a clear cote and then decals.
Lastly I picked up this kit again. Had a search session for the box, and found it, but now I must find the instructions and covers for the landing gears. Otherwise it’s ready for decals.
I hope I can get at least one of them done before the end of this month.
In attempt to solve the problem with the decals, I tried to use Pledge on a few of the stencils. It turned out quite well and I think I’ll use the same method for the rest of the decals. Meanwhile i glued rocket launchers, bombs and rear wheel.
Shortly after I also added tank and landing gears.
There I left it to dry over night.
Next to do is the rest of the decals before I paint it all with Pledge, then antenna and gun barrels and a few glass pieces needs to go on as well.
Now I finally have got all the decals and stencils in place!
The decals sure needs some work to sit properly, but with the stencils I might have found a method that might work. As they seems to look in place when wet, I used some Pledge and laid a thin cote with brush on a few stencils. Have to see how that turns out when dry. No return from that method though!
Gears, covers, bombs, and rockets sorted and some made ready to paint.
Then I painted the outside of the covers, bombs and rockets.
Next will be to get the decals to sit, make brake lines for the landing gears and then do some final assembly.
The original decals to this kit isn’t the easiest I’ve worked with. Even on relatively flat surfaces it’s hard to get them to confirm properly, and even with decal fluids it doesn’t seem to work as I want. I just might need to live with silvering in some areas. Also I need to buy stronger decal fluids, but that won’t help on this one I guess as I won’t get them fast enough.
So far I’ve done all the major decals and left to do is all the stencils, and normally stencils have a tedency to silver. I just have to see how it turns out with these.
I also must check that I have all other things ready for assembly later.
I’ve painted the Shelby again, and more ore less got the same result. It’s all grainy, and the colour look split in the cup.
I’ve bought Humbrol thinner, and if that doesn’t work I have to strip it entirely and try rattle cans or lacquer based colours. I hope I don’t set off the fire alarm again!
I’ve painted the underside and inside parts black on my deuce.
Looks ok on the pic, but on closer look it’s also a bit grainy. I need to redo some parts as the ejector pin marks still show. Otherwise I’ll keep it as it is. I need to have it nice and shiny on the topside though.
I also prepared some parts for paint and assembly.
When it comes to the P-47 I had set my mind to finish it by adding decals and do the final assembly. It turned out that it was harder to get those large decals in place than anticipated. The decals felt quite stiff and also a bit brittle while working with them.
So I decided to scrap them and paint the stripes and checkers instead. First I masked and painted white.
Next I masked for the black stripes and checker board pattern. The latter wasn’t easy at all!
After painting and removing the tape it looked like this!
As can be seen there are some flaws, which I tried to correct.
I think it’ll look ok once I get all the decals on and the rest of the parts and finally put on the shelf.
I have one more kit, and they build nicely, but I’ll use another set of decals.
The latest time I’ve been busy recording and mixing some covers, and the latest on is “The Rose” by Bette Middler. I might add an organ playing something different than just the chords. I just need to buy a keyboard, as it will make it easier to record what I want to do, compared to trying to program all the notes.
I have two new projects in mind. On is “I can see clearly now” and the other is “Orinoco flow”. I think I’ll start with the latter one, which I think will be a bit of a challenge. If possible I might have a friend do real violins, which would be nice! 🙂
My son have asked me to help him with his Mustang, and now I’ve finally got to it. I had done some painting before but wasn’t happy with it so I sanded most of it down, but then it ended up on the shelf and sat there for quite some time.
Front, rear and inside of hood painted.
Not sure how long it takes for the red to fully dry, but I’ve heard a week, so I’ll just leave it for now, then I’ll paint the topside of the body and the hood.
Now I’ve finally started to make a dio/base for my Scout car. I first made a scetch on the canvas.
I then started to work with the clay I bought. Very soft to work with but crumbled easy. Using water helped a lot, and after a while I had a piece of landscape that looked like this.
I will let this dry and then start to paint it and add grass and small turfs. Some logs and small branches might also work. Not sure how to make vegetation as I think some bushes and leafs would look nice. I’ll figure it out!