The focus is all on the exhaust in this update. I started by applying putty on the inside. Partly do fill in the seams and partly to build up where needed. It took some passes with sanding inbetween. Here I’m still not done.
Once that was done I started painting the inside. Trying to replicate the patterns and general look inside.
The inside on the “bottom” part also got some paint.
I might need to redo some or simply glaze with some more insignia white.
I guess I can just mask the outer most part while painting the outside. Possibly I have to wait until I have put the exhaust pipe in place to make sure it sits nicely, before painting.
I tried to mask the inside of the canopy and front glass, but gave up and decided to only mask the outside.
To be ready for putting the canopy in place, I had to sort a few other things. First I put decals on the ejection seats.
Then I glued the sight/HUD display.
I gave the seats a wash and then both seats and interior got a light dry brush with grey primer. I forgot to take a pic of that before I glued the canopy parts in place.
Then I painted the frames with grey primer.
I decided to go with the open fuel probe.
These three holes on the bottom confused me a bit as the instructions told nothing about them. I realized that they are for a mid pylon that isn’t used on the ECR model.
I found a rod that was close, drilled some and glued in place.
After it had dried, I cut them even, sanded a bit and then filled with some putty.
I’ll sand that down, and then it’s soon getting ready for paint. I just need to cover the inside of the intakes, air brakes and the wheel bays. I think it’s ok to add all small antennas and other stuff later.
All in all parts seems to fit quite well, and the fin only needed a little putty and sanding.
While handling the plane I accidently knocked off one of the stabilizors. So now it was time to sort this problem somehow. My options as I see it was either to glued them in a fixed position or find something better than the current rod system.
My idea was to find a tube and a rod that fit snuggly into each other, and by chance I had saved a few lollipop sticks that is hollow, and then I noticed that my ordinary wooden tooth pics fit very well. After removing the kit rod, I could put the lollipop stick in place and glue it, and I also drilled the stabs and glued tooth pics instead of the old mechanism.
I also did the same thing with the broken pylon.
Stabilizers in place.
I’ve also painted some of the load out with black primer.
By the looks of it they need some more attention to look good, and then some more primer.
Next will be sorting the canopy so I can start priming and painting the plane.
This kit I also intended to have in a small diorama with the figures I also got. The figures are about half done, meaning they’re assembled and painting is started. I also need to figure out how I want the dio to look. I’ll get to the dio later, and meanwhile, here’s some pics of the finished Warrior!
I bought this figure and one more some time ago, but as I don’t have a 3D printer yet, I have to rely on someone else to do it for me. This is the first one that he printed for me, just to see if it was good enough.
Not sure what to expect, and I’ve heard that resin printing would have been better. Anyway here’s the parts I got.
There are two heads and two weapons, and I’ll ask him to print one more so I can do both versions, and maybe also one twice as large.
I’m not used to 3D printed figures, and not entirely sure how to handle all the print lines, and if rendered with resin it becomes better, which I think it does. I scraped and sanded away some of it, but the plastic is very hard to scrape with a knife. Anyway after some sanding to fit parts, I glued the lower jaw to the head, and then used putty to fill the gap. This gap is the most visible on the entire figure, and will need some more work.
Next I glued the leg and the first wing.
Then the second wing was glued.
It was here that I realized that I should have done things in a slightly different way. I should have checked the site how it should look more closely. The wings should have been more apart and possibly the sun crest should have been glued before the wings. I have no debonder and didn’t know at the time that acetone might solve the CA glue, so I’ll leave it as it is, and do the next one better.
After some more work fitting parts, I got every part on the figure glued in place, and everything ready for primer.
For some reason I used gloss black primer.
I primed the wings as well and then started to use different greys to give the wings a base for the dry brushing and painting.
The base and cape/fleece also got some paint.
The wings was masked and then the armor was painted with Vallejo steel.
I then started doing some detail painting with gold and blue metallic.
Next will be skin and I’ll also try some different tones on the metal colours.