Angel Knight – 3D printed figure

I bought this figure and one more some time ago, but as I don’t have a 3D printer yet, I have to rely on someone else to do it for me. This is the first one that he printed for me, just to see if it was good enough.

Not sure what to expect, and I’ve heard that resin printing would have been better. Anyway here’s the parts I got.

Angel Knight parts
Angel Knight parts

There are two heads and two weapons, and I’ll ask him to print one more so I can do both versions, and maybe also one twice as large.

I’m not used to 3D printed figures, and not entirely sure how to handle all the print lines, and if rendered with resin it becomes better, which I think it does. I scraped and sanded away some of it, but the plastic is very hard to scrape with a knife.
Anyway after some sanding to fit parts, I glued the lower jaw to the head, and then used putty to fill the gap. This gap is the most visible on the entire figure, and will need some more work.

Lower jaw glued and puttied
Lower jaw glued and puttied

Next I glued the leg and the first wing.

Leg and one wing glued
Leg and one wing glued

Then the second wing was glued.

Two wings glued
Two wings glued

It was here that I realized that I should have done things in a slightly different way.
I should have checked the site how it should look more closely. The wings should have been more apart and possibly the sun crest should have been glued before the wings.
I have no debonder and didn’t know at the time that acetone might solve the CA glue, so I’ll leave it as it is, and do the next one better.

After some more work fitting parts, I got every part on the figure glued in place, and everything ready for primer.

Ready for primer
Ready for primer

For some reason I used gloss black primer.

Black primer
Black primer

I primed the wings as well and then started to use different greys to give the wings a base for the dry brushing and painting.

Painting started
Painting started

The base and cape/fleece also got some paint.

Some more painted
Some more painted

The wings was masked and then the armor was painted with Vallejo steel.

Armor painted steel
Armor painted steel

I then started doing some detail painting with gold and blue metallic.

Detail painting started
Detail painting started

Next will be skin and I’ll also try some different tones on the metal colours.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.