BMW 507 Cabrio – Revell 1/24

I bought this kit 2nd hand quite a few years ago, and the main reason for building it, is to test some kind of silver metallic as body colour.

This is what it looked like when I started.

Partly started car parts
Partly started car parts

The engine got some more parts.

Engine almost built
Engine almost built

To be able to test colours, the hood got some primer.

Hood primed
Hood primed

I decided to have a black leather/vinyl interior.

Interior painted black
Interior painted black

Then I masked parts of the interior and painted the engine room with steel.

Engine room painted
Engine room painted

Perhaps not very visible in the pic, but the ejection pin marks, I thought I had scraped away, was still visible. Time to sort that!

Pin marks sanded and puttied
Pin marks sanded and puttied

Time for some more primer.

Some more primer painted
Some more primer painted

I should have masked the interior better, so now I had to redo it, after painting over the red with flat black.

Gloss black primer painted
Gloss black primer painted

It turned out the body had some mold line and other flaws to take care of, and the hood and underside of the chassie got some steel paint.

Steel painted
Steel painted

Then the engine room was painted again.

Engine room repainted
Engine room repainted

After sorting the flaws, the body got some more primer.

Primer painted
Primer painted

I wasn’t happy with the steel colour, partly because I had problems painting it good enough on the topside. I’ve also had problems with Vallejos primer.
Anyway I decided to use Vallejos new metal colours. I tried aluminum on the hood.

Hood painted aluminum
Hood painted aluminum

I changed to medium grey and gave the body a cote.

Body painted grey
Body painted grey

The outer rims was painted aluminum.

Rims painted
Rims painted

The exhaust pipes was painted with brass.

Exhaust pipes painted
Exhaust pipes painted

Some parts was painted black and the mufflers was painted with gun metal.

Parts painted
Parts painted

I’ve also assembled engine, transmission and exhaust system.

Exhaust system in place
Exhaust system in place

Two problems have arised during this build. 2 parts are missing and I should have checked better, but as my my intention was to test body colour, my check wasn’t as thorough as it should have been.

I’ve asked for help, and possibly a friend of my son can print the parts on his 3D printer. I’ll see how that goes. Possibly I can make one of them myself if I can get the plastic material needed.

I’ll build and paint as much as I can, and hopefully the parts will be sorted so I can continue.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.