Mirage fit issues and other updates.

Normally joining the body halves should bring no bigger problems, but for some reason the halves woudn’t go together as they should in the middle of the body. After some checking I figurered that the intake seemed to be the problem. By gluing the body halves to the intake, it pulled them in, and thus created a gap in the top.
As the underside is open as long as the wings are not on, it was no greater problem to loosen the sides anad then glue the seam.

Fuselage halves glued
Fuselage halves glued

I then glued the intake again, which as it turned out I shouldn’t have done, cause when I tried to fit the wings, it looked like this.

Quite some gap
Quite some gap

There was quite a large gap to deal with and no matter how much I tried to press the wings closer, it wouldn’t work. I checked the net for a build review, and found one that said that I shouldn’t have glued the rear end of the intake at all. I also shouldn’t have glued teh outer intake covers until after the wings was in place. Something I’ll try to keep in mind as I have one more Kinetic Mirage kit.
I cut open the intake/fuselage bond again and also added a piece of sprue to widen the fuselage a bit.

Widener added
Widener added

Now the wings fit against the fuselage looked like this.

Much less gap now
Much less gap now

I glued the wings and added a bit of plastic on each side to take away some of the gaps.

Plastic stripes added
Plastic stripes added

After cutting them and filling the rest with some putty, it looked like this!

Gaps filled
Gaps filled

I’ll sand that later and might have to fill more putty to make it look nice. The hardest will be to rescribe missing panel lines.

Next up on my work bench was the figures to the Scout car, which after some shadows and dry brushing looked like this.

Uniforms painted
Uniforms painted

Getting closed to be done! The driver still need to be painted. All black uniform doesn’t make it easier. I might also sort a base of some sort.

It doesn’t show very good, but I repainted the belly of the lightning.

Belly painted
Belly painted

I’ll repaint the wings as well, and then do some panels in different colours to break it up a bit.

While painting black a while ago, I also painted the hood and interior roof black on my sons Mustang.

Roof and hood painted
Roof and hood painted

That’s all for now!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *