Tornado ECR Tiger Meet – Revell 1/32

I started building this kit for a tiger meet and special markings group build on Facebook.

Boxart
Boxart

I guess the big challenge with this one will be the painting and tiger meet decals. I’ve never done that before, and certainly not on a big model like this.

I started by assembling some of the cockpit parts.

Cockpit parts
Cockpit parts

Like all good tv-chefs I have already prepared and done the entire cockpit! 🙂

Pre built cockpit
Pre built cockpit

That’s actually for my stalled RAF Tornady, which I might pick-up while I’m at it.

Next step was to paint some dark grey.

Cockpit painted dark grey
Cockpit painted dark grey

The idea was to create some kind of pre-shade. Then everything was painted in a light grey.

Light grey painted
Light grey painted

I don’t think I managed to make the pre-shade show very much.

While getting the front fuselage halves from their sprue, I realized that there was two more instrument panels, and after checking I noticed I’d taken the wrong set.

Two sets of instrument panels
Two sets of instrument panels

There are minor differences, and luckily I managed to sort that in time. Now they only needed some paint.

After painting light grey, some details was picked out in black and the seats was painted with a darker grey on the side frames, then masked and painted in a different grey.

Details painted
Details painted

The cover between the front and rear seat was painted, and the seats masked and painted green.

Seats painted green
Seats painted green

With the tape removed it looked like this!

Seats unmasked
Seats unmasked

The instrument panels got some decals.

Decals on the panels
Decals on the panels

For some reason some of the decals wouldn’t fit with the dials on the plastic, so I had to cut them apart, and some decals seemed to be better fit with the panels I shouldn’t use. I opted them out.

After painting some more details and adding a clear cote, I did a black oil wash on the tub.

Blacak wash
Black wash

The radar nose parts was painted black.

Radar parts painted black
Radar parts painted black

Then I turned my attention to the wings and movable pylons.

Pylons and wing parts
Pylons and wing parts

Maybe due to the movability the fit isn’t optimal.

Not perfect fit
Not perfect fit

The instructions calls for 55g of weight in the nose. Here measured in a lid.

55g BB bullets
55g BB bullets

Some hours later the excess wash was wiped off.

Weathered cockpit tub
Weathered cockpit tub

Some more weathering done and the panels got a clear cote

Weathered tub and clear coted panels
Weathered tub and clear coted panels

I decided to use the pylons as they are without trying to create something to make them move along with the wings.

Pylons fastened with clips on the inside
Pylons fastened with clips on the inside

The panels got the same wash treatment and the body section with intake fans was painted.

Panel wash and intake painted
Panel wash and intake fans painted

The radar got some details painted in aluminium and was then assembled.

Radar assembled
Radar assembled

The wash on the panels was wiped off.

Excess wash wiped off
Excess wash wiped off

Then some dry brushing with white was done.

Dry brushing done
Dry brushing done

The seats got details painted by hand.

Seats painted
Seats painted

I need to touch up somewhat and add a few more details to the seats and also some decals.

Next will be building the cockpit and inserting that and wheel well into the front fuselage. I’ll also start assembling the main body and wings.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.