USSR Aircraft Carrier Kiev – Trumpeter 1/550

This kit have been laying in my stash for several years, and now I got an opportunity to build it in a Soviet themed group build.

Boxart
Boxart
Contents
Contents

This kit can be motorized and supplied are 2 shafts, rubber hosing, propellars and clips for the batteries. As I got this kit 2nd hand, I’m not sure if engines also was supplied or if they’re supposed to be bought separately. There are nothing in the instructions telling how to install the engines or wiring and switch.

Anyway, I’m not doing it motorized as I only will have it sitting on my shelf. Luckily there are plastic shafts and scale propellars included in the kit. As I don’t want to risk breaking them while handling the model in the early stages of the construction, I skipped that step in the instructions for now.

Instead I started with the radar and whatever it is that sits on top of the main structure.

Radar and whatnot
Radar and whatnot

Then I started with the two topmost buildings.

Building parts
Building parts

Assembled!

Assembled and test fitted
Assembled and test fitted

Parts to the bottom part of the structure.

Parts to the bottom structure
Parts to the bottom structure

The stand also needed some attention!

Parts to the stand
Parts to the stand

Some filler was needed to sort minor gaps and other cavaties on the structure buildings.

Building structure sub assemblies
Building structure sub assemblies

More radar parts to assemble that needed some touches of putty.

More radar parts
More radar parts

To continue I needed to assemble more small parts. I also test fitted the building parts.

Main building and more small parts
Main building and more small parts.

The underside of the hull had a seam that needed to be taken care of.

Underside of the hull
Underside of the hull

I test fitted the main deck which contains of three parts, here the aft.

Bit of a gap between deck parts
Bit of a gap between deck parts

And the front.

Front deck sections
Front deck sections

I also did a test fit of the main building.

Main building test fit
Main building test fit

A dozen small Yak-38 planes took a while to clean up.

A dozen Yak-38 planes
A dozen Yak-38 planes

I still need to figure what colours to paint them in as well as the helicopters that I haven’t started on yet.

Radar and search lights assembled.

Radar and search lights
Radar and search lights

Sometimes clamps are useful, like when holding parts to the hull while the glue dries.

Clamped parts
Clamped parts

Once the internal parts like bays for the boats was in place, I could glue the deck parts.
The instructions says the mid sections should be last, which I think is due to the motorized version where this part needs to be removable. But as there was a bit of a gap between the mid and rear section, I glued the rear section last, and will push the rear part of the hull forward to close that gap as much as possible instead.

One of the reasons for this is the raised detail on the deck, which makes using filler a bit harder without destroying the details. Not sure I can avoid that entirely, and I would have prepared decals for the helicopter pads and landing/start strip.

Deck sections glued to the hull.
Deck sections glued to the hull

Some plastic and filler was needed to sort some seams and gaps. I’ll see how the rear seam turns out. In the front I have a slight step that needs to be taken care of as well.

Soon I can start painting. I just need to figure what paints to use, as I don’t use or have Gunze colours.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *