Mirage fit issues and other updates.

Normally joining the body halves should bring no bigger problems, but for some reason the halves woudn’t go together as they should in the middle of the body. After some checking I figurered that the intake seemed to be the problem. By gluing the body halves to the intake, it pulled them in, and thus created a gap in the top.
As the underside is open as long as the wings are not on, it was no greater problem to loosen the sides anad then glue the seam.

Fuselage halves glued
Fuselage halves glued

I then glued the intake again, which as it turned out I shouldn’t have done, cause when I tried to fit the wings, it looked like this.

Quite some gap
Quite some gap

There was quite a large gap to deal with and no matter how much I tried to press the wings closer, it wouldn’t work. I checked the net for a build review, and found one that said that I shouldn’t have glued the rear end of the intake at all. I also shouldn’t have glued teh outer intake covers until after the wings was in place. Something I’ll try to keep in mind as I have one more Kinetic Mirage kit.
I cut open the intake/fuselage bond again and also added a piece of sprue to widen the fuselage a bit.

Widener added
Widener added

Now the wings fit against the fuselage looked like this.

Much less gap now
Much less gap now

I glued the wings and added a bit of plastic on each side to take away some of the gaps.

Plastic stripes added
Plastic stripes added

After cutting them and filling the rest with some putty, it looked like this!

Gaps filled
Gaps filled

I’ll sand that later and might have to fill more putty to make it look nice. The hardest will be to rescribe missing panel lines.

Next up on my work bench was the figures to the Scout car, which after some shadows and dry brushing looked like this.

Uniforms painted
Uniforms painted

Getting closed to be done! The driver still need to be painted. All black uniform doesn’t make it easier. I might also sort a base of some sort.

It doesn’t show very good, but I repainted the belly of the lightning.

Belly painted
Belly painted

I’ll repaint the wings as well, and then do some panels in different colours to break it up a bit.

While painting black a while ago, I also painted the hood and interior roof black on my sons Mustang.

Roof and hood painted
Roof and hood painted

That’s all for now!

Mirage IIIE Argentinian AF – Kinetic 1/48 progress

I started this kit pre corona pre brexit. It’s been laying in the box since then.
I had started with the cockpit but that’s pretty much it. I added home made seat belts.

Seat with belts added
Seat with belts added

The instructions to these kits are a bit confusing and quite sparse when it comes to colour instructions. One pic shows that the intake should be white and the other silver. I did a bit of my own interpretation, but I might abandon that and paint aluminium all over.

Intake and front wheel well painted
Intake and front wheel well painted

While painting some other stuff black, I put some on the cokpit area of the fuselage.

Some black painted
Some black painted

The intake parts after removing the tape.

Intake parts painted
Intake parts painted

I glued the wheel well to the cockpit tub.

Cockpit and wheel well
Cockpit and wheel well

I used my Moltov chrome pen to paint the hub of the intake fan.

Intake hub painted chrome
Intake hub painted chrome

The last thing I’ve done so far is to glue the small round glass piece to the sight and the sight glass. I’ll carfully paint some black around the sigth later.

Sight glass added
Sight glass added

Forgot that I also did some painting in the wheel well to increase the interest.

Wheel well details painted
Wheel well details painted

It seems like I forgot to take pics on the exhaust parts. Will sort that later.