I got mail that I got a parcel to collect, which confused me a bit as it said it came from a city here in Sweden, and I couldn’t remember ordering anything. When slightly shaking it, it sounded like plastic, like a model would. Even more confused by that! Once I got home and could open the parcel, the mystery was solved.
Inside the parcel was my order from Games Workshop. I guess they sent it to some shop here in Sweden, who in turn sent it too me. Anyway this is what was inside!
It’s a quite large box, but I guess the stompa is quite large as well!
In the box was also two orc and one human Blood Bowl teams, but I guess the stompa was the main attraction! 🙂
After doing some more weathering, I now consider this build finished! It’s a fun kit to build with, for me, nostalgic memories from building it in my youth. The age of the kit also tells in some places were burr was quite evident. Otherwise this kit goes together quite nicely. If I can find the set with gun and crew, I’ll build that as well!
Anyway, withouth further ado, here’s the final reveal pics! 🙂
The engine and drive shafts was glued in place as well as wheels and axles.
With the interior painted, I could glue the seats in place as well as the driver. I had to break off one arm to be able to get him in place.
Luckily I dry fitted the body on the interior. Turns out his right foot was in the way. After some adjusting and breaking off his arm again, I finally got him in place. I can’t say the fit of the figure was very good. His feet is too wide apart and doesn’t fit the pedals at all. Luckily not much of his legs and feet will be seen.
Now almost everything is ready for final assembly.
I need to paint the inside of the doors, add windows, paint a few more details, and give it all a clear cote. Then I can assemble it and start adding decals and hopefully some weathering before the deadline.
I decided to try masking putty to mask off the Mickey Mouse pattern.
Working with small blobs, I tried to create those mouse ears, which took some time. The hardest thing was to avoid pushing on those already in place, both when applying it and when handling it later. After removing the putty it looked like this!
The gun and limber as well as tires and spare tire was painted as well.
I think it turned out pretty well, even if I think I’ll touch up some areas where the putty was a bit too flattened out.
The tires need to get some paint and the interior also need some paint before I can start assembling everything. There are also some detail painting to do on the gun, poaches and so on. I also need to seal the paint with a clear cote as the colour seem to be quite easy to scratch.
After that decals need to go on and also some weathering, before it’s done. Hopefully I’ll manage to make that before the end of this month, which is the deadline for the group build I’m participating in.
It seems like group builds are the main reason to most of my builds, and this one is no exception. I picked this kit as Tamiya kits usually are quite easy to build and would be possible to finish within a month, which is the theme for this group build.
I accidently skipped a few steps and started with the engine.
Parts for the chassie was also cut off and prepared for assembly.
More parts prepared and glued.
The engine was assembled.
After assembling the chassie, I painted it and some other parts with British sand colour.
The engine got some aluminium colour.
I first started to paint the tires close to the rim, using a mix of black and tire black.
The seats was painted khaki.
The engine got a wash with Nuln oil. I assembled some of the interior parts and some parts was glued to the body. I also started building the gun. My idea is to prepare as much as possible for paint.
As I plan to make the Mickey Mouse pattern camo, I’m also trying to figure how to best go about doing it. Thinking maybe painting dark green or black first and then mask the camo pattern, before painting desert colour.
Last update on this build as next will be the final reveal.
I gave the underside a protective clear cote.
For some reason I just might have forgotten to clear cote the topside later.
Next I used Flory’s wash for the first time.
I used grime on the topside and brown on the underside. Here’s the underside after wiping off the excess wash with a moist cloth.
It wasn’t until I started wiping off the wash from the topside that I realized that I probably hadn’t coated that side, as one of the walk way decals went off. I managed to save it and get it in place with some Micro set, sol and lastly a few drops of Pledge.
I gave the landing gears an oil wash and added the covers.
I turned out that fitting the landing gears was a bit fiddlier than expected, and the covers fell off.
Adding the landing gears was the first part of the final assembly and for that the rockets also needed some colour.
Before adding the missing parts, I also gave the plane an oil wash and some sooth streaks with Tamiyas sooth pigment. Feeling the end was getting closer, I tried to finish it quicker than neccessary. Ending up with rockets and antennas falling off. Slowing down helped a bit and gluing the rockets one by one and letting the glue dry inbetween.
Then with all parts in place and everything done except removing the masking from the canopy, I gave it a cote of matt varnish.
That pretty much concludes the build, and the next post will be with the final reveal pics.
It’s a quite nice kit with only some minor problems, a few that I probably caused myself. Perhaps some day I’ll get the Profipack and build that one, using what I know now to build it better.