MiG-21PF – Eduard 1/48 – Final reveal

With the missiles in place and the weathering done, I’ll consider this build finished!

It is a nice kit that goes together very well and barely needs any filler. I used a little on the wings where they meet the fuselage and some sprue glue took care of the seams on the fuselage and along the spine.
I wouldn’t mind building one more in another scheme if I get the opportunity to get one.

Here’s some pics of the finished build!

The MiG now sits nicely in my cabinet, so on to the next build! 🙂

MiG-21PF – part 6

I added the missiles and then started weathering with Flory’s Grime wash.

I then removed the excess wash once it had dried.

I then repeated the process on the underside and lastly I used black oil wash to dirty down a few spots a bit more.

The result of the weathering will be posted in the final reveal.

MiG-21PF – part 5

As I participated in a 1/48 scale SIG group build, I had a deadline yesterday (31th of may) I had to try and finish it.

Part of the struggle was all the stencils. I decided to not use all of them. Instead I tried to put stencils where it was most noticable.

Then it was time to glue gears and all missing parts.

On the other side I glued pitot tube and antenna, and removed the tape from the canopy.

I also wanted to missiles in place, but due to stress I messed it up a bit.

I removed the missiles before I took pics for the final reveal.

Now I’ll glue the missiles properly and do some weathering, and then take new pics.

MiG-21PF – part 4

Time for some decals!

Those went on very nice! All the stencils feels like a struggle though, taking forever! 🙂

Here some are on, but I still got quite a few to do.

MiG-21PF – part 3

After some more painting it looked like this.

I noticed that I needed to do some touching up in some places.

I also noticed a ghost seam on the nose.

I used some sprue glue and then sanded it down and painted it again.

After some more work I was happy with how it looked.

There’s supposed to be red stripes on the rear end of the body, and I thought it was decals.
Turned out I had to paint them. I tried to mask so I could paint the stripes with red, but it was hard to get the thin stripes of tape look straight and parallell.
So I used a different approach, and painted the area where the stripes should go with red, and then cut 5 mm tape stripes and put them in place. In some way it was easier to do like this.

I then painted aluminium again.

I had to touch up some spots where the tape had leaked.

After that was done I removed all masking except on the canopy and then painted a few details here and there. I also did some touching up.

Lastly I painted some covers and pistons for the landing gears and covers.

I got a few more details to paint, then it’s time for decals and final assembly. With four days left on the SIG group build, I’ll hopefully will finish it and perhaps add some weathering too.

MiG-21PF – part 2

It seems like I’ve forgot to update the progress of this build.

I painted the engine parts.

Then the engine was assembled.

Not much that will be seen!

Instrument panels added.

Nose weight added,

As I was missing a colour, this was how far I got before my trip to the weekend build meet.

Time to do some of the small parts that needs to be done anyway.

Ejection seat painted.

Missiles and stuff painted.

Once I got the right colour for the wheel wells, I could assemble the plane.

Then it got some paint.

Time to paint the underside and then add some more colour variations.

MiG-21PF – Eduard 1/48

I needed a kit for a 48th SIG on Flory Models forum and this one was more or less the first one I found, not counting my Memphis Belle or SR-71 kits. Since the SIG group build ends on may 31th I don’t feel I have time for one of those larger projects, so Eduard Weekend Edition seemed appropriate.

I started assembling parts to the cockpit, engine and main gear well.

Those things will need to have paint quite early on, so that will be what’s up next. Starting with the cockpit and fuselage sides.

So far so good, but I need to figure what colour to use in the wheel bays. Instructions says either interior green or interior grey green. Looking at pics makes it even more confusing.
On some it seems to be a greyish colour, on some more like a pale zinc chromate colour and actually on some it seems to be interior green. Looks like I have to ask around!