I then continued with the topside. Removing tape that had been sitting there for years wasn’t fun. I also had to remove the front glass in order to glue the sight parts in place. The pilot was also seated. Thought it could look nice!
After that I started the weathering process by giving all the panel lines on the topside an oil wash in grey. A tad bit on the tick side for being a wash.
As it’s oil colours it’s quite easy to remove the excess with cotton buds and perhaps some white spirit and paper cloth. I’ll show the result later.
Starting with the Stuart, I put the hatches in open position and added struts for the front ones.
Then I continued with the weathering, creating worn off colour and scratches, using both olive drab and gun metal, and the a bit of rust pigment. I feel it’s hard to get a sense of when to stop, and maybe I’ve gone over the top with this, but I’ll consider it done.
I need to add the tow cable, and maybe sort a few things I’ve noticed in the pics, then I’ll take better pics against white background. Feels good to be done!
The propeller to the Corsair waas painted.
All decals except for the ones for the prop and front landing gear covers.
I need to do the remaining decals and seal them before I continue with final assembly and weathering.
Hopefully the gears for the P-47 will hold, as it only need prop and final weathering to be done.
A while ago I decided to try to finish some of my so called shelf queens, meaning models that have been sitting on my shelf or lying in their box, waiting to be finished. The P-47D I’ve shown here is one of them, which now is nearing finish. So the other day ig got a clear cote on the underside.
I will do the clear cote on the topside asap.
Next in line is my Academy 1/35 M3 Stuart kit. I’ve started to paint it, but evidently it got stuck there. I started with painting the underside and part of the sides and rear in olive drab. The idea is to make it look like it’s been painted over with the desert colours. I started with the sand colour.
Then I masked and painted the next colour.
Just to realise that it was the wrong colour. So I just painted the “correct” colour once this one had dried.
Once dry, I masked and painted the last colour.
Then I removed the masking tape.
Lastly I started painting details like the tools.
Next will be a clear cote and then decals.
Lastly I picked up this kit again. Had a search session for the box, and found it, but now I must find the instructions and covers for the landing gears. Otherwise it’s ready for decals.
I hope I can get at least one of them done before the end of this month.