Bf110C-4 nightfighter – Revell 1/32

I started building this kit many years ago, built the engines and started to hollow out the exhaust pipes. For some reason I decided to put it back in its box. Maybe cause I found it a bit daunting with the etch (for a G) and having to rescribe all the panel lines.

Anyway, with increased skills, I’ve decided to give it a go again. A friend of mine sent additional stuff like resin exhaust pipes, propeller blades, machine gun and decals for an all black nightfighter.

Box
Box
Contents
Contents
Additional stuff
Additional stuff

I started by removing the parts to the wings, fuselage and fins and cleaned them up, as I need to rescribe them.

Main parts
Main parts

As usual Revell had put their copyright mark on the wing.

Copyright mark
Copyright mark

I’ve started re-scribing the wings.

Re-scribing
Re-scribing

All the straight lines are fairly easy, but some curved ones are hard to do as well as some that require a template, that I don’t have at the moment.

Bf110E Tropical – Airfix 1/72 done!

Now I’m finally done with this build!

First I sorted all the small things on the underside.

Underside stuff glued
Underside stuff glued

Removing the mask from the canopy, caused a few problems.

The unmasked canopy
The unmasked canopy

I had to paint the missing frames by hand. Once that was done I could finish the topside.

The finished build
The finished build

Here are some pics of the finished build!

Pic 1
Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 2
Pic 3
Pic 3
Pic 4
Pic 4
Pic 5
Pic 5
Pic 6
Pic 6

That’s all for now!

Bf110E decals part 1

Luckily it turned somewhat cooler, so I could manage to sit with the decals.
The main decals are only 8, so that’s no big deal, but still took 3 short sessions, as I wanted the decals to set before handling the model, without risking to move the decals accidently.

Main bottomside decals
Main bottomside decals
Side and topside decals
Side and topside decals

Once the main decals was in place, I could start with the stencil, which on this kit is about 50-ish. For being a 72nd scale kit, that’s quite a few I think. Not sure I’ll use all, as some will go on the fuel tanks that I’m not using as well as some bombs.
Anyway now the topside is done.

Topside decals and stencils
Topside decals and stencils

Next will be the underside, and then I wish I had a stand so I could lean one side upwards.
There’s quite a lot of stencils on the side, and some quite small.
So I guess there will be at least three more sessions.

Then I also decided to try and finish one shelf-queen. I did some repair painting on my Tamiya 48th Corsair.

Minor repaint on free-hanad
Minor repaint on free-hand

Next time I think I’ll post this build separately.

Bf110 – detail painting

My idea was to start with the decals, but the heat here more or less prevented me from doing anything. Short sessions of painting details seemed more appropriate to do.
At least I got something done!

Details painted

Then I assembled the nacelles and put them in place.

Engine nacelles in place
Engine nacelles in place

Hopefully it’ll be a little cooler so I can sit and work with the decals.

Last camo colour on the Bf110E done!

I’ve masked the blue areas, and then painted RLM79 desert yellow.

Top colour painted.
Top colour painted

I think it turned out pretty well. Just a few minutes after the colours had dried, I decided to remove the masking tape.

Topside unmasked
Topside unmasked
Bottomside
Bottomside

Next will be a cote of clear, and then decals.
I still have things like the landing gears to paint, and the canopy to unmask,
Will do that as soon as possible!

Bf110E two colours painted.

I started to paint the white fields on the wing tips and around the body.

White colour painted
White colour painted

Then I masked and painted RLM78 on the underside and sides.

Tropical blue painted
Tropical blue painted

This will have to dry a while before I mask for the top colour.

Missing one step on the Bf110E

Seems like I forgot to tell about the masking of the canopy, so here it comes!

The masked canopy
The masked canopy

And in place!

Canopy in place
Canopy in place

And painted with RLM66

Canopy frames painted
Canopy frames painted

Back in order for the next post I hope! 🙂

Bf110E primer and pre shade

I thought that Vallejo’s primer was shake and go as their other colours, but evidently not.
I had to do two sessions with thinned primer before it looked ok.

Primer painted
Primer painted

After sorting a few issues, I could do some pre shading.

Underside pre shade
Underside pre shade
Topside pre shade
Topside pre shade

A bit splotchy, but I think it will do. Next will be camo colours.

Bf110E – Figure painting

As can be seen in previous posts, I’ve started painting the pilot figures. The other day when I decided to continue, one of the arms fell off. For some reason it wasn’t glued properly.
Even though I have plastic carpet, the arm were nowhere to be found. So I decided to make a replacement arm with two component clay.

Pilot with new arm.
Pilot with new arm.

After some painting the figures turned out like this.

Painted figures
Painted figures
The pilot with teh re-made arm
The pilot with the re-made arm

Perhaps I could have put more effort, but I think they turned out ok.

Now they will be put in place and next I’ll start masking the canopy. First time using a masking set. Have to see how that turns out.

Bf110E trop – update

I’ve painted the propeller blades, spinners and engine nacelles.

Some parts painted
Some parts painted

I’ve also done some filling and sanding, and assembled the tail and nose. In the pic I’ve also test fitted the nacelles.

Nose and tail assembled
Nose and tail assembled

Lastly I’ve started doing some work with the fuel tanks and bombs. Not sure which loadout to use.

Fuel tanks and bombs
Fuel tanks and bombs

Still have things like landing gear and other details to paint, and a large canopy to mask, but I’m getting closer to paint.