With the missiles in place and the weathering done, I’ll consider this build finished!
It is a nice kit that goes together very well and barely needs any filler. I used a little on the wings where they meet the fuselage and some sprue glue took care of the seams on the fuselage and along the spine. I wouldn’t mind building one more in another scheme if I get the opportunity to get one.
Here’s some pics of the finished build!
The MiG now sits nicely in my cabinet, so on to the next build! 🙂
I noticed that I needed to do some touching up in some places.
I also noticed a ghost seam on the nose.
I used some sprue glue and then sanded it down and painted it again.
After some more work I was happy with how it looked.
There’s supposed to be red stripes on the rear end of the body, and I thought it was decals. Turned out I had to paint them. I tried to mask so I could paint the stripes with red, but it was hard to get the thin stripes of tape look straight and parallell. So I used a different approach, and painted the area where the stripes should go with red, and then cut 5 mm tape stripes and put them in place. In some way it was easier to do like this.
I then painted aluminium again.
I had to touch up some spots where the tape had leaked.
After that was done I removed all masking except on the canopy and then painted a few details here and there. I also did some touching up.
Lastly I painted some covers and pistons for the landing gears and covers.
I got a few more details to paint, then it’s time for decals and final assembly. With four days left on the SIG group build, I’ll hopefully will finish it and perhaps add some weathering too.
Last week I participated in a yearly model build weekend. This time it started last thursday as that was a holiday here in Sweden. I went by car and picked up a friend on the way. The trip took a little over two hours and the weather was very nice. We arrived at noon and started packing up our things. Then we all had a quick lunch before we started building.
I brought four models that I’ve had started, that I intended to make as much as possible on while there. The first one was a MiG-21PF in 1/48 by Eduard. The cockpit and quite a few small parts was already done and I was missing a colour for the wheel wells and some other interior parts. Once that colour was painted and dry, I could assemble first the fuselage and then the wings and fins. The fit of the parts on this kit was very nice, and I would consider at least one more, in another scheme. Here’s a pic of the assembled plane with test fitted canopy.
I used some sprue glue on the seams, which was all that was needed to make the seams disappear. I actually managed to get primer on and even some paint later on, but as usual on these meetings I tend to forget to take pics. Here’s a pic of how it looked when I got home.
The next kit was this 32nd scale P-51D Mustang which is an old Hasegawa kit. The fit on this one was not as good. But what to expect on an old kit? I assembled the cockpit, engine and some other stuff and inserted into the fuselage. I also painted the spinner and yellow propeller tips.
On this I needed to use some putty as sprue glue wouldn’t have been enough. Even here I forgot to take pics.
Here’s a pic taken at home.
The third started kit was this Moon bus from 2001 a space odyssey. That one also needed interior colour that I don’t have but have ordered. Looks like I might get i this week. Anyway again I borrowed some paint and painted the interior. I also painted the cargo and glued the seats in place. I also assembled all the figures, and will paint them later.
The fourth model was the only one that wasn’t started. The kit is a Warhammer 40k kit called Knight Abominant which is a chaos knight.
Here’s some build pics from the meeting.
More pics will follow soon, I hope!
It was a great fun weekend were I got lots of building done. Other than that we talked, listened to music, talked, ate and slept. Imagine sleeping in a bunk bed in a room together with a bunch of guys snooring away like they got paid for it! 🙂 I also downed a few beers and a few shots. Late evenings and fairly early mornings. As it happens there will be one more meeting this year in the early fall. Looking forward to it!
I needed a kit for a 48th SIG on Flory Models forum and this one was more or less the first one I found, not counting my Memphis Belle or SR-71 kits. Since the SIG group build ends on may 31th I don’t feel I have time for one of those larger projects, so Eduard Weekend Edition seemed appropriate.
I started assembling parts to the cockpit, engine and main gear well.
Those things will need to have paint quite early on, so that will be what’s up next. Starting with the cockpit and fuselage sides.
So far so good, but I need to figure what colour to use in the wheel bays. Instructions says either interior green or interior grey green. Looking at pics makes it even more confusing. On some it seems to be a greyish colour, on some more like a pale zinc chromate colour and actually on some it seems to be interior green. Looks like I have to ask around!
This is the kit I plan to build for the F-16 group build on IPMS Gothenburg.
I actually started building this kit many years ago. I think one of the reasons I stopped was because I tried to figure a way to cover the landing gear well bulge inside of the intake. Not entirely an easy task, I’ll see what I’ll do. Perhaps a FOD cover solves the problem. Here’s a pic on what was done then.
And here’s the decals I intend to use, if they still work.
My plan is to start the build after I’ve finished the Tonka I’m working on.