P-51D Mustang – part 5

After sorting the little misshap it was time to mask and paint some areas with another metal tone.

The tape removed!

After some more masking and painting black and red was added selected areas.

As can be seen I’ve sanded a bit on the spine, and also on the underside. After some re-paint it looked like this!

It’s easy to get wear on the already painted areas. I’ll sort a few more and then it’s time to sort the camo.

P-51D Mustang – part 4

I’ve started painting the wings and other areas that should have painted aluminium colour.

I must accidently have touched something when handling the plane. Trying to sort it with the paint still wet perhaps wasn’t the best idea.

I have do redo that later and once dry I can start masking for the other metal colour.

P-51D Mustang – part 3

I glued the canopy glass to the frame and painted the front rim black.

Then a few parts got interior colour painted.

The pilot was touched up and glued in place, as well as the sight glass (again).

The canopy was masked and glued in place.

There’s a small gap between the canopy and the front glass. Partly caused by me as I wanted the glass to fit flush with the rear slope on the frame.
I’ll sort the gap with plastic stripes.

Next up is primer.

P-51D Mustang “Man O War” – part 2

The wings and stabilizers went on very well and only needed just a little putty to look alright.

I painted the prop blades and canopy frame black.

As the sight was missing (I lost it somehow), I had to make a replacement lookalike.

Then paint it and put it in place.

Looking at the pic I noticed a few mistakes that I need to sort by masking and repainting.

I haven’t decided if I’m going to use the pilot or try to do seat belts. I started painting the pilot. But sitting up late painting figures while tired wasn’t good. I have to do a bit of touch up on the pilot as well.

I did a mock up with the pilot in place.

Might work if I get the pilot painted properly.

P-51D Mustang “Man O War” – Hasegawa 1/32

I started this build for a WW2 based group build on Facebook.
It’s an old kit and it is quite noticable.

It all start with the engine and cockpit.

Then some work with injection pin marks.

IP painted black and guns painted black metal, and more prep made.

Some parts was painted aluminium and some with interior green.

The guns and ammo was assembled to their bays.

IP got some dry brushing and cockpit was painted as some other parts.

Cockpit and engine was installed and fuselage halves was glued together.

The spinner and the tip of the propeller blades was painted.

Here are all the parts, more or less ready for assembly.

Next I’ll paint the propeller blades and tires, and start assembling as much as I can.
The fit on this kit isn’t the best but not the worst either. Totally buildable though.

Model builder summer camp weekend (plastkollo) 18-21th of may 2023

Last week I participated in a yearly model build weekend. This time it started last thursday as that was a holiday here in Sweden. I went by car and picked up a friend on the way. The trip took a little over two hours and the weather was very nice.
We arrived at noon and started packing up our things. Then we all had a quick lunch before we started building.

I brought four models that I’ve had started, that I intended to make as much as possible on while there. The first one was a MiG-21PF in 1/48 by Eduard. The cockpit and quite a few small parts was already done and I was missing a colour for the wheel wells and some other interior parts. Once that colour was painted and dry, I could assemble first the fuselage and then the wings and fins. The fit of the parts on this kit was very nice, and I would consider at least one more, in another scheme. Here’s a pic of the assembled plane with test fitted canopy.

I used some sprue glue on the seams, which was all that was needed to make the seams disappear. I actually managed to get primer on and even some paint later on, but as usual on these meetings I tend to forget to take pics. Here’s a pic of how it looked when I got home.

The next kit was this 32nd scale P-51D Mustang which is an old Hasegawa kit. The fit on this one was not as good. But what to expect on an old kit?
I assembled the cockpit, engine and some other stuff and inserted into the fuselage. I also painted the spinner and yellow propeller tips.

On this I needed to use some putty as sprue glue wouldn’t have been enough. Even here I forgot to take pics.

Here’s a pic taken at home.

The third started kit was this Moon bus from 2001 a space odyssey. That one also needed interior colour that I don’t have but have ordered. Looks like I might get i this week.
Anyway again I borrowed some paint and painted the interior. I also painted the cargo and glued the seats in place. I also assembled all the figures, and will paint them later.

The fourth model was the only one that wasn’t started. The kit is a Warhammer 40k kit called Knight Abominant which is a chaos knight.

Here’s some build pics from the meeting.

More pics will follow soon, I hope!

It was a great fun weekend were I got lots of building done. Other than that we talked, listened to music, talked, ate and slept. Imagine sleeping in a bunk bed in a room together with a bunch of guys snooring away like they got paid for it! 🙂
I also downed a few beers and a few shots. Late evenings and fairly early mornings.
As it happens there will be one more meeting this year in the early fall. Looking forward to it!