We had an airbase here in Halmstad, called F14 and one of their Lansen planes sits on a concrete pole in the shopping center near the local airport, called Flygstaden (Airport city). My idea is to, if possible, build that plane.
I found this Heller kit in 72 scale that I intend to use.
I ordered a set of decals that have decals for a F14 plane.
The only thing missing is 2 large yellow P’s with white border, and the serial number for this particular plane. Not sure where to find them, but perhaps I can use the large blue P’s as templates and then cut up existing serial numbers to get the one I need.
I started with the cockpit, more or less as ususal on many airplane builds.
I’ll finish painting the cockpit parts, add the decals and tape belts for the seats.
This is an fairly old kit, depicting one of the prototype Gripen.
32nd scale and all would be all nice and dandy if it was at least somewhat correct, but the flaws are quite large as can be seen on this drawing, printed to scale, with the fuselage halves laid out on top.
As can be seen there’s quite a lot to correct. A large chunk of the plane is missing lenghtwise. Like about a meter on the real plane missing! The wings are somewhat short both in lenght and width.
It would be quite a task to try and correct it, and with this kit I’m not going to try. I’m going to build it as it is. I think it’ll end up looking like a Gripen to the unknowing eye.
As usual it all starts with the cockpit.
I also started assembling the engine.
Wheel bays and intake parts was installed, and for some reason I assembled the radar. I don’t even know why they made parts for the radar as it won’t be seen at all. Pretty much the same goes for the engine.
The cockpit parts was first painted with a dark grey and then some areas got some black.
Then the side and front panel was painted light grey, and then seat and panels was detail painted.
All the parts to the possible loadout was assembled.
The cockpit got a gloss cote and a wash.
The instructions calls for 20 g nose weight, and a little more was glued in the nose after removing the radar parts I glued for some reason.
While the glue is drying, I started with the wings, just to discover that one was slightly warped.
At the moment not sure how to correct it. Perhaps it works with a hair dryer, or using hot water to bend it in position.
The engine was installed.
The cockpit was assembled and an ejection handle was made from copper thread and glued to the seat. The whole cockpit was glued in place and then the fuselage halves was joined.
As can be seen the intakes got some putty and the fin is assembled.
The fuselage went together very nicely and there will not be much to sort as this close up will show.
If only the measurements had been somewhat correct, this would have been a fairly nice kit that goes together very well.
Many builds that I’ve started lately seems to belong to group builds on different forums, and this one is no exception! The group build is called “Be a kid again” meaning build those kits that you once built when you where young or when you started the hobby.
As I recall, my first kit was the Lindberg Draken with spring loaded robot, that I built together with my dad. Or at least he and I started, and I finished it. That kit is a bit hard to come by now adays, so I opted to build Airfix old Draken kit, which I had lying in their “History of Swedish Air Force” boxing.
I decided to build it out of the box and I think the rules state that too. The greatest difference between now and then is my knowledge and that I’m gonna use an airbrush.
I could have re-scribed it, but opted out as it feels more old school that way.
After checking with a friend, I painted the pilot in a beige/khaki kind of colour, and then the seat and cockpit surroundings was painted in green and aluminium. Not much of a cockpit so the pilot is needed to fill the empty space! 🙂
After the pilot was done, I could start with assembly of the plane. It was pretty straight forward and went together pretty well for an old kit from the 70’s.
In the last minute I realized that I’ve forgotten to add weight to the nose, which caused a bit of a problem as I accidently pushed the pilot a bit. It took a while to set him straight again and still get the weights to stay. After that I glued the nose in place and also the wings.
Only a small amount of filler was needed to take care of the seams. I used a wet q-tip to remove the excess putty.
Pylons and some of the open position covers was added to the underside.
After checking with a friend, I could mask the canopy in the correct way for a F version,which have the rear portion covered.
I’ve also painted the wheels and landing gears.
Just recently I’ve painted pre-shade lines and after painting the robots white, I painted some white on different panels. Not sure if that’ll show, but it’s fun to try different things.
I checked my colours that I’ve bought for my 1/48 Hasegawa Draken, and the blue-gray that was goey back then, was even worse now. I’ll consider it useless. I don’t think I’m gonna buy that brand again. So next time I’ll order MRP (Mr Paint) instead. I’ve heard that they’re good.
I hope I can find matching colour in Humbrol or some other brand that I already have at home. If not, I have to order,which will cause a delay in the build.