Spitfire MK XII – finishing touches

With all the decals done and a clear cote to seal them, I could start with the weathering.
So I used black oil colour and some white spirit to give panel lines a wash.

Panel line wash
Panel line wash

Then I let it sit for a few hours before I started wiping off the excess with cotton buds and some white spirit (where needed).

Excess wash removed
Excess wash removed

I then did some painting with aluminium to create a little wear on wings and prop blades.

Aluminium wear painted
Aluminium wear painted

Black oil colour was again used, but this time to create some dirt and grime like sooth from the shell ejection holes and some general grime.

Grime added
Grime added

I also added sooth from the exhaust pipes, removed the masking from the canopy and added the mirror and painted it. And with that I think I’ll call it finished, and will take proper pics later today.

Finished
Finished
Pic 2
Pic 2
The belly
The belly

Spitfire Mk XII – update 2

After a few sessions, almost all the decals are on.

Topside decals
Topside decals
Right side
Right side
Left side
Left side
Underside
Underside

Just a few decals left, and as the instructions are a bit unclear about some of them, I have to ask some who know, or eventually find the info on Google.

Spitfire Mk XII – update 1

The pilot was finished and some seams taken care of.

Pilot painted
Pilot painted

Then the pilot was put in place, which meant I had to carefully remove the front glass, as I couldn’t slip the pilot in as intended.

Then the underside was painted.

Underside painted
Underside painted

I have a roll of semi clear masking film that I wanted to try. The wings was fairly easy and part of the body, but I ended up resorting to blue tac and tape for the rest of the camo.

I think I’ve rushed the build a bit in an attempt to finish in time, so maybe the paint was too fresh. The masking film and tape removed parts of the paint.

Camo painted
Camo painted

Hard to see the flaws in the sun shiny pic but had to sort some of it with some freehand painting.

Camo touched up
Camo touched up
Underside
Underside

The the wings was masked and a yellow field painted on the front ledge.

Yellow front ledge
Yellow front ledge

I’ll check if more touching up is needed, and then put on a cote of varnish, before applying decals.

Airfix 1/48 – Spitfire Mk XII – Easter blitz build

As part of the easter holiday I participated in 2 holiday group builds. Build anything, hopefully within the holiday and have fun.

I picked this kit as my entry.

Spitfire boxart
Spitfire boxart

As usual on most planes it starts with the interior.

Body and interior parts
Body and interior parts

First some British interior green.

Interior green painted
Interior green painted

IP and details was painted and the interior was given a wash.

Details painted
Details painted

I assembled the wings and painted the prop and spinner.

Wings and prop parts
Wings and prop parts

I solved the problem with having the prop sitting on the plane while working with it, and glued the fuselage.

Fuselage glued together
Fuselage glued together

After sorting the body seams, I glued the wings and then some other parts as well.

Wings glued to the body
Wings glued to the body

The canopy parts was masked.

Canopy parts masked
Canopy parts masked

The landing gears was paint and also some other parts.

Landing gears painted
Landing gears painted

I started painting the pilot.

Pilot uniform painted
Pilot uniform painted

The canopy was glued in place.

Canopy glued
Canopy glued

Tires was painted and a few other small parts was sorted for future assembly.

Small parts sorted
Small parts sorted

Flaps and canopy was painted with interior green.

Interior green painted
Interior green painted

After a while I could paint primer over the seams. I also practiced painting squiggles.

Primer and squiggles painted
Primer and squiggles painted

I need to take care of some seams before painting the camo.