New arrival – 9th of march 2023

I actually collected this kit yesterday, and it’s quite large!

Millennium Falcon box
Millennium Falcon box

It’s a perfect grade kit and also quite expensive, and I really didn’t expect to lay my hands on such a kit! I just hope I can get the time and space to build it.
I’ve heard that it’s a quite nice kit to build with parts fitting like a dream, and I guess that’s what perfect grade means. I also has electronics for the lighting if I’m don’t recall wrong.

I’m expecting one more parcel but for some reason the store where I collect some of my parcels has been closed for 2 days now. So I have to make a post of that later.

SW – Virago – finished!

I did some touching up and decided it was enough. I mounted it on its stand and took some pics with both black and white background.

It feels good to have it done and placed in the cabinet! On to the next build!

SW – Virago – almost done

I had some problems gluing the wings in the right position as the construction is a bit wobbly. Perhaps I could have sorted that somehow, but now it is as it is, and the wings can fold and unfold, if done carefully.

Virago with wings folded.
Wings folded.
Virago with wings extended.
Wings extended.

I noticed on the pics some spots that needs some touching up. Other than than it’s done, and I’ll take better pics for the final reveal.

SW – Virago – weathering part 2

Using oil paints, some streaks which to some extent destroyed some of the rust I’ve already done. Not sure I’ll bother, but perhaps I’ll add some minor streaks with rust.

Some streaks added.
Some streaks added.

Soon I can start assembling it and do the final touches.

SW – Virago – weathering

I started the weathering process by doing a wash with black oil paint. Then I went over it with Tamiya’s weathering kits. First sand and then dark and light rust.

Weathering in process.
Too much rust?

I think I might have gone overboard with the rust. I’m thinking of adding some sooth and oil streaks, which might tone down the rust somewhat.

SW – Virago – clear coting

Looks like I need to check up my airbrush, as I had some difficulties laying the Pledge clear cote. It seems to be some leakage, as it was coming small bubbles in the cup even when the trigger was closed.

I tried to get it somewhat even. Perhaps I can polish it somewhat. As it dries very fast I was able to do both sides without any greater problems.

Wings clear coted.
Wings clear coted.
Body clear coted.
Body clear coted.
Finished stand clear coted.
Finished stand clear coted.

SW – Virago – sorting gears and the plaque.

In order to get the wings aligned, I decided to try and remove the cover over the gears. It went well, without anything breaking. With some luck I can glue the wings in the right position and have the mechanism work as it should.

Wing mechanism gears.
The gears for the wing mechanism showing, after removing the cover.

I also found the plaque for the stand, and started painting it. I touched up the grey fields on the stand somewhat.

The stand has been touched up.
The stand is almost done.
The plaque with basic colours painted.
The first 2 colours on the plaque done.

Next I’ll start painting the letters on the plaque, and prepare the ship for some weathering.

SW – Virago – stand and test fit.

After moving around stuff in my hobby room, I finally found the stand for the ship. I did some touching up of the black areas. Still missing the plaque though, but hopefully it’s there somewhere. I’ll just need to find out where.

The stand for the Virago ship.
The stand for the Virago ship.

I did a dry fit of the ship with wings and all on the stand.

Dry fit of ship on stand.
Dry fit of ship on stand.

There’s a mechanism inside that’s supposed to enable the wings to move, but I’m unsure of which position it is in, and the tabs that are supposed to mate inside the wings, doesn’t seem to fit very well. So I might have to glue the wings in either folded or fully extended position, whichever looks best.

SW – Virago – painting and chipping done.

All the wings and the body is now painted in their main colour.

All parts painted.
All parts painted.

There’s a slight difference in the colour on one of the wings and half the body, due to a little mistake I made when mixing the colours. Something I realized too late. I’m not sure if I can correct it without masking and repainting again,which will take some time. Perhaps a light cote of lighter colour will sort it. Otherwise I can pretend that parts have been replaced or repainted.

I’ve also started to paint some of the details.

Black details added
Black details added.
Black details added.

I’ll add some more details and clean up some minor mistakes. Once that is done I think it’s ready for assembly.