The original decals to this kit isn’t the easiest I’ve worked with. Even on relatively flat surfaces it’s hard to get them to confirm properly, and even with decal fluids it doesn’t seem to work as I want. I just might need to live with silvering in some areas. Also I need to buy stronger decal fluids, but that won’t help on this one I guess as I won’t get them fast enough.
So far I’ve done all the major decals and left to do is all the stencils, and normally stencils have a tedency to silver. I just have to see how it turns out with these.
I also must check that I have all other things ready for assembly later.
I’ve painted the Shelby again, and more ore less got the same result. It’s all grainy, and the colour look split in the cup.
I’ve bought Humbrol thinner, and if that doesn’t work I have to strip it entirely and try rattle cans or lacquer based colours. I hope I don’t set off the fire alarm again!
I’ve painted the underside and inside parts black on my deuce.
Looks ok on the pic, but on closer look it’s also a bit grainy. I need to redo some parts as the ejector pin marks still show. Otherwise I’ll keep it as it is. I need to have it nice and shiny on the topside though.
I also prepared some parts for paint and assembly.
When it comes to the P-47 I had set my mind to finish it by adding decals and do the final assembly. It turned out that it was harder to get those large decals in place than anticipated. The decals felt quite stiff and also a bit brittle while working with them.
So I decided to scrap them and paint the stripes and checkers instead. First I masked and painted white.
Next I masked for the black stripes and checker board pattern. The latter wasn’t easy at all!
After painting and removing the tape it looked like this!
As can be seen there are some flaws, which I tried to correct.
I think it’ll look ok once I get all the decals on and the rest of the parts and finally put on the shelf.
I have one more kit, and they build nicely, but I’ll use another set of decals.
After a second cote of primer to check the seams, I could start to paint the underside in neutral grey.
This is the first time I use Hataka acrylic colours. I started with the paint directly from the bottle, but it clogged the nozzle pretty fast. After diluting it, it was a lot easier to paint. A good thing with the Hataka paints is that there is a ball that helps when shaking the bottle.
I will mask for the medium green colour and see how that turns out. I’ll try to get softly feathered edges.
This kit have been sitting on the shelf since june. Perhaps I can finish it off this year.
I started with painting the inside of wheel and gun bay covers in zinc chromate yellow.
I realised that maybe not all off them should be yellow, but instead should be in aluminium or silver. Have to check internet and re-paint if neccessary.
I also masked the canopy and front glas. There’s a part for the sliding mechanism that should be glued to the canopy and that also need paint. Have to check which colour it should have, and also which colour it should be behind the seat (under the canopy). I think it might be the body colour.
I also need to check that I have the colours needed to paint the body.
This build was started on a yearly build-weekend held a bit outside Gothenburg. During that weekend I managed to come quite far and got the main body and wings assembled.
Once I got home the build continued and I’ve painted propeller, wheels and landing gear. I’ve also dipped the canopy parts in Johnson Pledge.
I’ll mask the canopies and prepare for primer as soon as the canopy is in place. It seems like I need to get some new paint for the zinc chromate areas, and I will order that and some other colours asap.