I bought this kit some time ago, just because it looked cool and had Shelby in the name. I wasn’t aware that Shelby had constructed a car of his own, but evidently he had. Anyway, I thought it was cool, and put it on my planned build list.
I order to do this kit justice, I decided to have something to practice on, and that’s why I started the BMW 507 Cabrio. That build have partly come to a halt, due to missing pieces. I will still try out the metal paint on the body, and hopefully I’ll manage to get it good enough to try it on this one as well.
As usual it start by preparing parts, and on this I started with both engine and interior parts.
Some parts needed a mix of black and gold.
It’s only about 5% gold, so it’s barely visible except maybe that it has a slightly different hue.
Then it was time for some aluminum.
Then some steel/iron.
On some parts the instructions called for silver, but after looking at the pics on the box, it looked more like chrome or polished metal. So I decided to try my chrome colour in the airbrush for the first time.
It turned out better than I had expected, but I think some parts need another cote to look real good, and also some parts needs to be painted on the other side.
It might not fully look like chrome, but good enough to look like polished metal.
The instrument panel and the panel for the gear shift was masked and painted dark grey.
Seats and side panels was painted.
After some detail painting the interior parts looked like this.
Some decals needs to be added to complete the interior.
I’ve started assembling the engine and painting parts needed for it. Also some other parts will be sorted and painted before assembly. Many parts will be painted in aluminum.
I’ve heard many praise Hataka colours, but I guess that must be their laquer range they’re talking about. I know acrylic colours have a tedency to clogg up the nozzle after a while. For some reason I thought they were thinned and ready to go, but it clogged up almost instantly.
After cleaning up the airbrush, I diluted the colour and added a few drops of airbrush medium. That made brushing a lot easier and it lasted longer before it clogged the nozzle, calling for another clean up.
After my first go with the second colour, it looked like this.
A bit spotchy and uneven. So I mixed up a new batch and had one more go.
Still a bit uneven, but perhaps acceptable. I might lay another layer.