This is my first Warhammer 40k large Titan model that I’ve built. I think they look cool and wanted to build one for a very long time. I can’t say I know much about them or the 40k world, I just like the looks of figures and stuff.
Anyway, now it’s finished, and here’s some pics!
I’m quite happy with how it turned out! That said, there are things that perhaps could be improved upon, and things I still need to practice. There will be more opportunities in the future to buy and build more both large and small figures. I truly enjoyed builidng and painting this one!
Painting this one is quite time consuming, due to all details and the armour plates that also need to have shades and layering.
I’ve painted one of the heads and only have minor details left to do.
Right now it looks quite shiny, and perhaps a layer of flat varnish will bring down the shinyness a bit.
I had painted everything in metal, but realized that the upper plates on the body should have the same colour as the other armour plates. I first painted with Kantor blue and then did layers with lighter colours by hand.
I wasn’t happy with the look of some of it, and it looks a lot lighter seen through my camera lens. So I decided to use the airbrush to lay a thin layer of Kantor blue on top. This is the first time I use my masking putty to mask off the surrounding areas.
I’ve also painted the large plasma guns.
I checked a video about painting plasma guns, and I think I’ll try to improve the glow somewhat.
Still need to complete some armour plates and detail painting och the body before I start final assembly.
Next up was two large plasma guns that goes where the arms normally goes.
I’ve glued the mounts to the guns, but so far omitted all plates. Will glue them on later when most of the internal structure and plates are painted.
I used some Vallejo black to paint all the different sub assemblies and backside of the armour plates.
I struggled a bit with my air brushes and by the looks of it the black is a bit uneven. I don’t think it’ll matter much as almost everything will be painted in a dark metal colour. Perhaps in a zenithal primer kind of fashion.
I always thought the Warhammer 40k titans looked cool, so I bought one recently just to see how it is to build and paint. It’s a bit of a challenge as I never built or painted a model like this.
In the box there’s 4 set of sprues, instructions, decals and a set of cards and rules for this unit in the Adeptus Titanicus game.
Assembly starts with the hip or pelvis.
Next is the upper legs.
First leg and complete (almost) foot.
First complete leg
Without knowing I had done my first mistake, but first a pic of both legs done.
Looking good, isn’t it? It wasn’t until I’ve glued both legs to the pelvis, that I noticed that the feet leaned outwards instead of standing flat on the ground. So I started to break the feet away with the help of Tamiya thin and some tools. One leg that I had glued that day was fairly easy to remove, but the other one was assembled the day before, and actually ended up breaking at the fot joint.
After cleaning things up, I glued the right foot in the right place. And while that was drying I started with the torso.
This is how it looked like after the legs had dried and was glued to the pelvis again, and next to it the torso taking shape.
Adding more parts to the upper body.
Then there was a bit of weapons to choose from. I also had a bit of problem assembling the movable gun attachment point.
There are also three different head to choose from.
I haven’t choosen head or weapons yet, but it’s leaning towards the guns I’ve inserted and the left head.
A few more parts to assemble before I need to start painting, including all the armour plates, that will go on last.