The tracks on this one is of the link and lenght kind, which at times is easier than linked tracks. The smaller curved link parts are glued to the drive sprockets and the rear wheels. Just take care when fitting those parts and check the direction of the tracks on each side. Assembly starts with the wheels and the top lenght part.
Once the top part is in place, the wheel halves can be glued in place, before continuing with the rest of the track. I assembled the front and rear track parts first before adding the bottom track. I was a bit worried that it shouldn’t fit as the wheels have slightly different positions, and don’t make a straight flat line on the bottom. Perhaps it’s supposed to look like the tank is driving over something. Anyway I started by gluing it to the front end, and let it dry for a while.
After working with the turret a while, I glued the last bit of the track.
So now I got one side done, and it looks like it should work. I’ll start on the other side asap.
As stated before I did some work on the turret. I started by gluing the front part with the gun mantle.
Then I started to add a lot of small parts to the turret.
Still quite a few parts to add to the turret. Will do that soon, but will probably do the other track first. The turret really comes much later in the description, but I needed something to work on while other things was drying, as I didn’t want to continue with the topside parts before the tracks was in place.
A bit of slow progress, but I’ve finally managed to get the underside and all wheel parts painted.
There’s an intentional uneven look to it. Now I only need to paint the wheel rubber rims, and start assembling wheels and then the tracks.
The turret is really a bit further ahead, but I’ve started working with it a bit, and the interior part is done, and the inside of the turret got some primer inside, as the primer is a match for the interior colour.
There’s actually quite a few parts that go on the outside of the turret, hatches, and periscopes and boxes and whatnot. The plan is to glue these parts, and then continue with tracks and the hull and all the parts on the topside.
The build have been standing still for some time, as I had more urgent things to take care of since my dad passed away. Now it’s all in the hands of the lawfirm, and I can’t do much until that is done. So I did some painting, mainly on the other side of the wheels with the basic desert colour.
The underside also got a thin layer of a lighter colour. I will paint with the lighest colour later, trying to create variations.
As soon as the wheels are painted properly on both sides, I will start adding a black/greyish rubber paint to the rims. And then I’ll start assembling wheels and tracks.
I added some boxes and whatnot to the rear and sides.
The part that covers most of the front is assembled earlier in the instructions, but either check the fit then or wait with the lower part to ensure it fits as it should on the lower part of the front. I had to break up mine and re-glue it.
Continuing with some of the parts for the turret. Some of them got painted in the interior green.
In order to get the wheels on, I started to paint the lower hull and backside of the armor plates in the darker tan colour.
Need to do some touch up before using the lighter colours for toning/post shading.
I tried 2 of the tropical tan colours on the armor plates.
It was hard to take a good picture and hard to tell the difference between the two colours. One is slightly brighter, but that hardly shows in the pic. I’m thinking of using one of the slightly brighter colours to tone any of these, just to get that sand dusty look I’m after.
I put some gun metal colour on the tracks parts.
I think I need to darken the tracks with some brownish colour and some rust perhaps. The pads needs to be painted in rubber black as well. I’ll need the tracks pretty soon to continue the build.
With internal armor plates painted and in place I could finally glue the upper hull in place.
The fit wasn’t entirely perfect, so I had to use some filler.
After the putty had been sanded down I could start to assemble the torsion arms. There is included some sort of jig to get the alignment right, but every arm is put in a slightly different position, so the jig only fit some of the arms. I saw no real use for it.
All the suspension arms in place and a few of the support wheels.
As i soon need to start painting, at least some of the parts, I need to figure which paint to use. I’ll ask my model building friends if any of these will do. If not I have to order new colours.
Next I’ll start with the parts to the tracks, so I can continue the build.
I assembled the sides to the bottom. I also removed and cleaned up some additional parts for later use.
Once that was assembled I added the seat holders and some other interior parts as they should have the same colour. I then painted the interior parts with primer, whcich turned out to be one of the interior colours. Then the floor part and lower walls was painted green and then the seat cushions got a different shade of green.
Next will be to assemble and perhaps touch up a few parts. I will also add some dirt and wear.