Fw190F-8 wings assembled.

The fit of the wings against the fuselage/wing root isn’t good as can be seen on this test fit.

Wings testfit
Wings testfit

Quite a gap on both sides. The underside is a bit better.

Wings underside
Wings underside

I glued the wings on the underside first and let that dry for a while. Then I tried to glue one side while pushing wing and body together. Closed the gap alright, but tilted the body and did the other side worse.

I cut some plastic sheet as shims to put into the gap on each side, and that way lessen the gap and make it easier to push the wings to the body. I decided to give it a try.

Shims inserted
Shims inserted.

Still a gap, but not so wide. Maybe I can put in a bit more plastic, and then cut and sand to shape. The rest I will cover with putty later.

Tornado front fuselage glued and wings started.

If I am to believe the instructions, it’s only the Gulf war version who has those “danger” markings on the sides of the head rest. Have to check!
Anyway, the seats can go in later and the cockpit was fitted into the front fuselage halves and glued in place.

Cockpit in place.
Cockpit in place.
Rear view
Rear view

A bit fiddly and I had to glue one bit at a time. For some reason there’s a gap between the front panel and coaming. Have to carefully fill it with plastic or putty. Hard to sand where it’s already painted.

I’ll sand and check all seams, and use putty where needed.

The wings have gears and turnable pylons, but as it is now the pylons can turn any direction, and really don’t sit very tight.

Turnable wings.
I’ve started on the turnable wings and stabilizers.

On the 1/48 kit there’s a mechanism to turn both pylons at the same time. I wonder why they didn’t do that on this one?
Maybe they thought of it afterwards.

Glueing wings on the Eurofighter – part 1.

I don’t know what Revell had in mind when they constructed very small tabs for the wing support.

Small tabs for wing support.
Small tabs for wing support.

So I decided to do something about it to strenghten the joint. By adding tubes that fit into each other, I could get a much better stability.

Plastic tubes.
Plastic tubes.

Jumping a bit, but the leading edge needed some attention too.

Leading edge not matching.
Leading edge not matching.

Some sanding sorted that out.

Off with the tabs!

The tabs cut off and sanded.
The tabs cut off and sanded.

Rods added to the wing halves.

Rods added to the wings
Rods added to the wings.

Luckily I did a test fit against the fuselage. It turned out the rear wall section was in the way for having a tube going right through as I first had thought.
I also accidently shot away half of the smaller tube, and still haven’t found it. I replaced with a piece of sprue that matched the size of the bigger tube (with some minor sanding).

The larger tube also had to be shortened to fit, as I had to use my Dremel to cut part of the wall. I wish I had planned this tube thing before I glued the fuselage. So now there a sprue rod going right through the body in the front part and a short tube in the rear part.

Wing rods and tubes.
Wing rods and tubes.
The wings.
The wings.

After some adjusting, I got the first wing in place.

First wing in place.
First wing in place.

Quite ugly on the underside though.

Quite a gap!
Quite a gap!

Got a bit of a gap on the underside. By using some mild violence, it is possible to close the gap, at least somewhat, but I think super glue will be neccessary.

Both wings in place, but still some work to do to close the gaps and tidy it up.

Both wings in place.
Both wings in place!

Next I’ll sort the wing gaps, and then put back the IP and hopefully close the cockpit. I also need to figure if I need to add some weight in the nose.